Monday, January 28, 2013

Gratitude


“Mindfulness is paying attention on purpose non-judgmentally in the present moment as if your life depended on it.”  -Jon Kabat-Zinn

My life definitely depends on living mindfully.  I have a wonderful monkey mind that swings back and forth trying to distract me, however bringing my awareness back to the moment and breathing deeply liberates me from the chaos.  I can always tell when life is getting away from me; my body aches more, headaches creep in, my shoulders move up towards my ears, and I feel rushed.  Noticing these cues I bring myself back into the breath and back into balance.   Having a mindfulness practice that helps you centered and coming back to yourself keeps the stress of life rolling off your shoulders rather than hanging on.   Do you have a mindfulness practice that is part of your daily routine?  Is it watching the sunrise or sunset, journaling, prayer, meditation?  Whatever it is, may your relationship continue to deepen.

I was able to reignite my yoga practice this weekend at Yoga Union in Portland with teachers Sianna Sherman and Sally Kempton.  We spent the weekend diving deeply into the physical practice of yoga as well as the philosophy of opening the heart and welcoming the energies of the divine feminine into our lives.  I love yoga because it simultaneously tones and purifies the body while igniting love and compassion in the heart. 

It feels so good to be starting off this year, 2013, focusing on my health and vitality in such a gracious way.  When I first started this project I thought I would be hitting the gym at 5 am and taking spinning classes.  Instead, I now have a puppy that requires wonderfully exquisite morning walks, and I started committing more to yoga and qi gong.  We all have to find our path to health.  For some, the gym keeps them engaged, motivated, and part of community.  For others, its videos at home and group exercise outdoors that inspires vitality.   What keeps you inspired?  Is it dance, hula hooping, running, kayaking or some other dynamic activity that gets the body moving?

After this weekend of intense study and pushing myself to the limit physically, mentally, and spiritually I find myself asking, “what do I really want?”  It’s a simple question, but when I ask it there is silence.  Perhaps silence is the perfect answer, for it brings me deeper into contemplation.   Have you asked yourself that question lately?

At the close of a beautiful weekend, I cannot help but feel gratitude for the abundance of love and blessings in my life.  I give thanks for all the wonderful clients, family, friends, and strangers that have brought grace into my life.  May your week be full of gratitude and love………………

Ps.  Drink ginger tea to stay warm on these chilly Oregon nights, add some raw honey for a little treat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment